Skinimalism (and post-pandemic living) has catalysed a new crop of beauty trends and products this year. Gone are the days of heavy face beats as beauty enthusiasts have transitioned to a less-is-more approach to cosmetics. Airy and breathable foundations and concealers now reign supreme as make-up lovers seek formulations that enhance as opposed to conceal, and this is evident in the growing popularity of ‘skin tint’ formulations. Beauty eds have forecast these as the favoured base for the summer, but what on earth are they even!?
The lowdown on second-skin tints
In the face base family tree, skin tints are sort of like the older sisters of tinted moisturisers. Tinted moisturisers are foundation and cream hybrids, while a skin tint merges the perks of a foundation and serum. Why is this such an industry game changer? Well, besides offering thee most gorgeous sheer, skin-like colour, and the dreamiest glazed-doughnut glow, these also help treat your skin beneath, thanks to the many skin-loving ingredients infused in these blends.
Three tints we're loving right now...
Riri and her team understood the assignment when it came to this gem. This flexible skin tint is a literal filter in a bottle that instantly blurs and dews skin. Two reasons why it’s a make-up kit staple for many MUAs:
- Its range consists of adaptable shades – one shade of this tint can work on up to three different complexions, making it an extremely versatile product.
- Its QuickBlur Complex. This hydrates and diffuses your skin tone, leaving you with an Instagram-worthy, no-make-up make-up finish. Fenty Beauty Global Make-up Artist Hector Espinal highly recommends this for gents, too.
If you have a few extra Rands to blow, Sisley Paris is a worthy choice. This second-skin fluid is oil-free and works to blur imperfections and elevate radiance. Available in 18 ultra-natural, skin-evening shades, you’ll fall in love with its barely there feel and satiny-smooth finish. And for glow-getters looking for a radiance boost that won’t add a layer of grease to your oily-prone complexion, this formula consists of three amazing hydration complexes:
- Its Hydro-Booster Complex features some good old hyaluronic acid and moisture-retaining konjac glucomannan microspheres.
- Its Aqua-Lock Complex is a cocktail of aquatic mint extract and plant-based sugars to refresh, hydrate, and plump your skin.
- Its Vita-Light Complex with kiwi and acerola extracts revitalise, energise and add extra glowiness to your complexion.
Clarins combines the juicy, non-greasy feel of a serum with sheer, colour-correcting pigments to instantly refresh, illuminate, and even out your skin tone. Its star ingredients include:
- Clarin’s Anti-Pollution Complex to shield your skin’s barrier function from damaging environmental stressors.
- The Leaf of Life – a succulent plant that hydrates from within by boosting your skin’s natural hydration abilities, resulting in increased moisture retention, protection, and bounce.
- And lastly, Jania – a marine extract that detoxifies and clarifies skin.