Today, 29 July, marks one of our favourite holidays in the beauty calendar – National Lipstick Day! It gives us an opportunity to whip out some old faves and discover some newbies. There are so many reasons why we appreciate this powerful make-up product – namely because of the way it makes us feel as soon as we put it on. It’s the perfect mood uplifter. Bad day? Add a slick of your favourite lipstick. Need a way to quickly glam up? Coat your lips in your go-to shade. It’s a no-brainer. Here are some tips to ensure you achieve your best-looking lip always, no matter what finish you choose…
1. It seems obvious, but keep your lips as hydrated as possible. Winter is a prime time for cracked, painful lips, so make sure you have an ultra-hydrating lip balm within reach at all times. This will help protect the barrier of the skin on your lips and make lipstick application a lot easier.
2. Gently exfoliate your lips no more than once a week. Dip an old spoolie into Vaseline and gently buff the parts where your lips are flaking. Be careful not to exfoliate too hard, as your lips may bleed. Smooth lips will also help with lipstick application, especially if you’re a fan of matte textures.
3. If you feel like the pigment of your lippy is lacking, try priming your lips. After you’ve exfoliated, dab some lip balm on and remove any excess. Then apply some loose powder to the lips. Lastly, apply your lipstick as you normally would. This technique will prolong your lipstick and make it pop all day long.
4. If precision isn’t your strong point, use a lip brush to create your perfect pout.
5. When applying your lipstick, start from the centre of your lips outwards. This controls the application and limits mistakes.
6. Matte vs. Sheer: Matte finishes tend to have longer wear and bolder colour than sheer textures. Sheer textures are glossy and more hydrating.
7. Liquid Lipstick vs. Lip Gloss: Although they both have similar wand-type applicators, liquid lipsticks have rich, hydrating colour and only require one swipe on the lips. They also have long wear. Lip glosses are lightweight, have a slight pigment and coat the lips in a high shine. They’re ideal for everyday wear.
8. Wear the colour and finish of your choice – there are so many to choose from.
This nude liquid lipstick adds condition to the lips thanks to its formula enriched with vitamin E and aloe. It glides on with ease and comfort and delivers highly pigmented colour. Minimum touch-ups are required too, as this lipstick lasts for up to 16 hours – talk about long wear! Finish-wise, it’s shiny. And you can forget about smudges. A must for the office and everyday wear.
The next shade on our list also happens to be a liquid lipstick, but in a brighter hue. Revlon’s ColorStay Satin Ink Lipcolor in Fired Up is a bold red and, yes, as you’ve probably guessed, it’s intensely pigmented. The formula contains blackcurrant seed oil and vitamin E to nourish and protect the lips from any cracking and dryness. Just a tip: this formula is wet once applied. Give it a few seconds to dry before taking your first sip of coffee.
If lipsticks aren’t your thing and you prefer just a hint of colour with a nourishing formula, we suggest this delicious lip tint. Bobbi Brown’s Extra Lip Tint in Bare Melon instantly plumps and hydrates your pout and has an impressive ingredient line-up: avocado, olive and jojoba oil treat the lips while giving a sheer wash of colour. This lip tint works well as a base for your favourite lipstick too.
Lip glosses are fun, easy and effortless to apply. The Essence Extreme Shine Volume Lip Gloss in 06 Pretty In Pink gives the lips a show-stopping high shine with a subtle pink tint. It plumps and adds volume, giving your lips a much fuller look. We love that there’s a variety of colours available, from nude to pink to clear, allowing you to have an array of hues in a high-shine finish. We suggest adding one of each to your cart.
This creamy gloss nourishes the lips while giving an extra sparkling shine as a finish. It has a gel-like texture which plumps and adds luminosity to your lips. The colour pay off is sheer, but it still manages to make your pout pop. It’s easy to wear and a pleasure to apply, plus, this colour is highly versatile, making it suitable for day and night. You’ll love wearing it!
Who doesn’t love a dramatic lip? Lancôme’s L’Absolu Rouge Matte Lipstick in 509 Rêve Toujour is a deep-purple hue with a powdery, matte finish and will certainly make a statement. The uber-luxe formula contains rose extract, which is known to soothe and calm dry lips (which is great, considering this is a matte formula). If you’re in the mood to channel your inner Disney villain, we suggest purchasing a tube.
The second matte lippy on our lipstick list is Estée Lauder’s Pure Colour Matte Lipstick in Dark Desire, a dark, sultry red that doesn’t bleed, feather or crease once applied. If you’re looking for definition, then this lipstick is your answer. It beautifully sculpts and gives your lips volume and curve. Although it’s matte, the formula’s Moisture Lock Complex ensures your pout is moisturised and nourished from the moment you apply it. The gold casing has us in awe too.
The best part about Fenty Beauty’s Gloss Bomb Universal Lip Luminizer in Fu$$y? Other than the non-sticky formula, shiny finish and peach vanilla scent? It has a thick wand, making application a cinch. The sheer, subtle colour works perfectly on its own or over your favourite lipstick for extra effect. You won’t be able to stop admiring your shimmery lips – that’s how addictive this lip gloss is.
Yes, this is the MAC gloss taking TikTok by storm. MAC’s 3D Plumping Gloss Stick in Low Cut is the hottest lip gloss to add to your ever-growing lipstick must-have list. It’s the perfect handbag accessory because of its high hydration delivery. Avocado oil, coconut oil and shea butter make up the deliciously decadent formula designed to protect and look after your lips from first application. Remember, just twist the cap twice before putting it to your pout. Glassy lips, here we come!